“Know for certain that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, where they will be enslaved and oppressed four hundred years. But I will also judge the nation whom they will serve, and afterward they will come out with many possessions.” Genesis 15:13-14
It had been 320 years since God had said this to Abraham. If anyone was counting that meant they had 80 years to wait.
Today we will learn about Jochebed. Her story is found in Exodus 1:22-2:10. The names of her and her family are found in Numbers 26:59. Take some time to read through it and then answer the following questions.
- Why did Pharaoh decide to murder the innocent baby boys? (Exodus 1:8-10)
- How did Jochebed manage to hide Moses for 3 months? (Talk about social distancing.)
- When that becomes unmanageable what does she do? Who does she involve?
- Who is she trusting? (see Hebrews 11:23)
- Who does God send to protect and care for Moses? How is this ironic?
- What role does Jochebed continue to play in Moses life?
- What does she eventually do in verse 10?
- What impossible situation am I facing?
- How can I live each day well? What can I do today to trust God?
This is the last we hear of Jochebed. I don’t know if she never made it out of Egypt, but because of her faithfulness a nation was delivered from bondage.
This series will be looking at the next 120 years in Israel’s history. It is an amazing story. I hope you come on the journey with me.